Thursday, July 14, 2005

A Moment's Rant

Just read a blog by a young woman, barely old enough to drink who says she hates mommy blogs because she's a feminist.

Let me see. Why is this irritating me.

Many years, I considered myself feminist. I believed and worked for equal pay, I was just about the first woman in New Orleans who was on the payroll of a major car dealer to do body work (as a helper, learning the job, but still on the payroll, and I worked on a lot of cars while I was there.).

Yet some things are incredibly important.

Passing on the torch to the next generation is probably the most important thing we do in life. It's been my role in life to care for other people's children. When they were little I helped raise both of my nieces. I fostered my best friend's child the year after her death, until the family decided to take over. I am the stepmother of two children, who had a horrible trauma and many problems.

There's something about being intimately involved with another's life that tells you, if you are listening, truly, and not wrapped too much up into yourself, what really matters.

The niece I helped give her first bath to, who I rocked, and fed and played with, who I carried on my shoulders one day when she was almost two to go to college registration because I needed to care for her and get registered, who I told endless stories to and put up with watching endless repeats of the Great Ewok adventure, is getting married next week. One torch passed down.

I gave up my career as a college English instructor to care for my mother her last three years of life. I wouldn't trade those three years for anything.

My alienated, angry eldest stepson is now still dealing with some issues, but he likes his family again, and knows who's there for him, and who cares enough to let him fly. A torch nearly there.

My youngest son, the day I met him for the first time, laid his head in my lap and asked me if I was going to be his mommy. He has deep wounds about the death of his birth mother. Another day, he walked up to me, and asked me what happens if you overdose on Tylenol. I remember how bad my hand shook as I called 911, and how he needed to hold my hand as they pumped his stomach. He is the one I grieve most for, because I cannot really heal his wounds, only lead him to the medicine that can help.

What is really important? I have been many things in life already - a short order cook, a typist, a body and fender mechanic, an instructor of reading and English, a wife, a mother, a writer, a poet, an historian.

Which role will count most when I am gone?

Being an average Joe who will leave few ripples on the fabric of time, I like to think that my taking time to rescue these boys, to be there for my nieces when my brother's marriage fell apart and for being the type of person who knows that kindness and understanding have more value to the world as a whole and to the future before us than what type of money I made, what type of car I drive, what clothes I wear.

What matters isn't the things you have. It's the people's lives you touch. Mommies and daddies are the ones who touch us most intimately, and it's a HARD job, and one we wonder about, and grieve over and despair of - and one that matters most to the world in the long run.

Without mommies and daddies and their sacrifices, and griefs and struggles, and willingness to do what has to be done, tomorrow wouldn't come. This is the bedrock, and we ought to celebrate those who care enough not to run away from the future.

Enough said. Rant over.

25 Comments:

Blogger Cheryl said...

That is a beautiful, strong post and I am really glad I found your blog.

On the other hand it depends what your definition of a mommy blog is. There are women seemingly so wrapped up in a single child that they have no room for books or a deep thought about anything. That can be cloying and just as potentially damaging. I find blogs covered in pink and hearts and flowers to be 'not my cup of tea', so my own definition of a mommy blog is one where the child's last nappy change is the sole topic, that also happens to be decorated like it was done by a powerpuff girl on a sugar high.
Would love to know which blog you refer to, to see what she meant!

Blogrolling you :-)

8:22 AM  
Blogger Knitting a Conundrum said...

Good and bad blogs in most categories... Most of the mommie blogs I've read aren't quite horrid, and some of the young professional women blogs are truly insipid. Pink and spun sugar isn't my cup of tea, either... but neither are sport blogs. But there are good ones in that category too!


I don't remember the name of the blog. It was one I ran across on blog explosion...but it got me thinking about what's really important in life. Self indulgence and partying, or whining or anger, or thinking positively about the future - And why it can be wrong to throw out the baby with the bathwater because something doesn't fit your point of view at the moment.

8:39 AM  
Blogger Milt Bogs said...

What a superb piece of heartfelt writing!

9:18 AM  
Blogger Steve said...

That was a fantastic, moving and evocative post.Thank you for posting it and if this is indicative of the quality of a mommie blog then I will be reading more.

9:19 AM  
Blogger ~M~ said...

Susan, you have touched me deeply today. "Another day, he walked up to me, and asked me what happens if you overdose on Tylenol. I remember how bad my hand shook as I called 911, and how he needed to hold my hand as they pumped his stomach. He is the one I grieve most for, because I cannot really heal his wounds, only lead him to the medicine that can help."
This recently happened to me. My younger brother, who is 17 and 8 yrs younger than me, took 15 pills of claritin. (Thank God it is nontoxic, but the intent was there.) He is having problems that I can't solve. I have always been able to help him, but it has come to the point where I can't. I had been feeling horrible about an fight we had on tuesday, but your post which i accidentally found while surfing Blogexplosion, lifted my spirits. I just emailed him to apologize. Thank you Susan. I feel as though you are an angel, sent by God to help me.

9:31 AM  
Blogger Knitting a Conundrum said...

It's so hard sometimes. Never having birthed a child myself, I wonder if everyone would agree with me, but getting kids who hurt through their adolescence is a sort of birth process, and like childbirth, it HURTS...it's the birthing of adults, one of the hardest jobs in the world. But I wouldn't exchange it. If I could go back and start over, I still would marry their father, and still do my best to heal the wounds I can.

It's my payment to the past for my life, and my promise to the future to try to keep the river of life running.

9:41 AM  
Blogger Jeremy said...

Wow. That was a very nice read. Thank you for posting that.

10:22 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

That was lovely, and I agree that when we assume the role of parent and nurturer we are doing the most important work in the world. I just don't see how that is in any way counter to feminism. Almost all of the parenting blogs I read are written by feminists from a feminist perspective, and it's the ways in which those women understand their experiences as mothers, raising the next generation and mediating our culture for young ones, that is at the heart of feminism, at least for me.

10:53 AM  
Blogger Willow said...

::standing ovation::

11:20 AM  
Blogger JoanneMarie Faust said...

I surfed in from Blog Explosion and I love this post. Very well constructed. I've been long pondering the state of feminism. It's become something so ugly. Feminism is about the, urgh, hate to use jargon, but, empowerment of women. Now, it seems that if you are a feminist, you must completely turn your back on being a woman. What a load of crap! We are better than that. It's fine for this girl to not be in a "mommy" place in her life and it's also okay if she is not interested in the musings of people who are. However, anti-woman, anti-feminine, anti-mommy feelings do not a feminist make.

11:31 AM  
Blogger eatmisery said...

There's nothing wrong with Mommy blogs. If someone doesn't like it, they can click away from it.

11:38 AM  
Blogger Japheth said...

I, as a young person also think that we spend way to little affection on those who gave us life.
Keep up the good work!

11:45 AM  
Blogger Knitting a Conundrum said...

However, anti-woman, anti-feminine, anti-mommy feelings do not a feminist make.

O so well said. Women are not female men, any more than men are male women. But together we come together, and if we pick wisely, can make a wonderful life.

To think that the female things aren't important and meaningful because someone told you so is to spit on all our grandmothers before us, and in some ways is the opposite of the feminist ideal - that what we do as women is valuable, worthwhile and good.

11:45 AM  
Blogger Doom/Blondie said...

wow.

3:17 PM  
Blogger EKENYERENGOZI Michael Chima said...

Awesome words of life.
You remind me of my mother, one of the greatest mothers of all time.

I told God if given the choice, I would want the same mother a million times over.

She died in a road accident on her way to work to bring up six children. And she was a poor widow, working as an office cleaner.

Your ministry is called the Ministry of Helps. And if all the mothers in the world were like you, none of our children would have become suicide bombers, rapists, serial killers, drug addicts, etc.

The hand that rocks the cradle can rule the world.
But, most of our mothers have left the cradle in pursuit of the vanities of the world.

God will bless you more and more in the name of Jesus Christ our Lord.

http://kissesandroses.blogspot.com

3:21 PM  
Blogger Jean said...

I am not sure that I have a comment worthy of this post. I know when I was young I didn't think that I wanted children, now I can't imagine what life would have been without them. I think that as you get older, you come to realize that people and not things are the only important thing. Thanks for the post.

JC

4:16 PM  
Blogger 20mileview.blogspot.com said...

Bravo...beautiful. Thanks

7:26 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

I just found you and was touched by your writing as well. I love my 'getting older and wiser' relationship with my mother, and fortunately she's laughing WITH me, not AT me when I tell her how right she was all those times...

7:35 PM  
Blogger mona said...

amen! feminism means choice for women. how can one consider themselves a feminist but not have respect for mothers? i do not have any children but i make time for children who need it. they are the reason i took correctional work in school. i agree with you - be proud of being a mommy - nobody sacrifices more.

7:42 PM  
Blogger carrie said...

the woman of whom you speak in this post of yours is 32 years old and has an 11 year old child.

8:03 PM  
Blogger Knitting a Conundrum said...

You don't know whom I am referring to, although you can assume what you like. I name no names...and I've seen this idea expressed in several different blogs and on other discussions and websites. My personal angst is a synthesis of all of that - I got tired of the assumption that caring for families is somehow anti-feminist, anti-woman, or a betrayal of the cause...I got tired of the dissing of my mother and grandmother and of the women in my bloodline who suffered and worked hard for a set of values that put family at very high priority, even when it was inconvenient, or painful. And because I believe in the future.

8:15 PM  
Blogger carrie said...

you are identifying with your oppressor.

8:20 PM  
Blogger Dana said...

Wonderful post, Susan. I just got through reading a post like that about someone who hates mommy blogs. She says (to paraphrase) that mommy blogs are sick and that any woman who can't write about anything but their kids are dumbed down and can't hold an intelligent conversation. Hello???

I agree some Mommy blogs are super sugary sweet and I am turned off by them, but that's OK. Being a Mom, whether biological, single Dad or something better, a volunteer/step, is the most important job there is. How else would the future generation grow up to take over the reigns of responsibility?

Wonderful blog here, Susan!

9:10 PM  
Blogger Queen Esther said...

nicely put. enjoyed reading it. for the life of me, i don't understand why young girls believe that being a feminist and being a mommy are mutuallly exclusive.

10:26 PM  
Blogger Cheryl said...

I blog about my kids constantly, all four of them, ranging from 21 to 8, plus my granddaughter makes 5.
I was only saying:
a)brilliant post
b) everyone seems to have different ideas of what a 'mommy blog' is, but I think all these interesting answers have proved that!

:-)

8:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home