Friday, July 15, 2005

Meme Tag games....

Not particularly good at this, but Jane tagged me, so I guess I will play:


Where was I ten years ago?

I had left my job teaching English to care for my mother who had diabetes and congestive heart failure. It meant leaving the state I was living in, and moving away from everybody I knew at that time. Instead of being a college instructor, I took a job first at a McDonald's (didn't last long, and Lord, I hope you never see fit to send me back to one) and then as a part time secretary.

Was it worth it? Absolutely. Always close to my mom, I got even closer as her health deteriorated and she leaned more and more on me. Would do it again, and only wish she were still here to take care of.

Five years ago:

Five years ago I was happily married to my sweet hubby, learning to deal with teens, healing up from having my gall bladder removed, and learning all about the wildfire cycle in the west.

One year ago:

I had to have five gall stones removed from my bile duct. Very painful condition. Some of us still make gall stones after we have our gallbladders out! I was also dealing with a son who like this year, had gotten a bit in trouble with the juvenile court (why he does this so he'll have to do community service all summer is beyond me!)

Yesterday:

Went and picked up my stinker at the airport, where he had a good time being with his aunts and uncles and grandmother for three weeks. Did laundry. Wrote.

Five snacks I enjoy:

Genisoy chips
Blueberry non-fat yogurt
Beef Jerky
Cashews
Chocolate

Five Songs I know all the words to:

Hold Me Now - Thompson Twins
Unchained Melody - Righteous Brothers
Happy Together - The Turtles
Could it Be Magic - Barry Manilow
The Look of Love - Sergio Mendes and Brazil 66

Five Things I would do with $100 million.

Start a foundation to help feed college students who run out of money and can't afford to eat.
Create a free remediation clinic for students having trouble with their studies
Donate to the local library
Invest carefully so I could do more things like those above
Visit Rome

Five Locations I would like to run away to:

(don't want to stay there, though!)
London
Bits of Wales important to the Arthurian story cycle
Places in Scotland that I and my husband have family roots in
New Orleans the third week of March (long as Mardi Gras has already come and gone)
Most any place on the Oregon coast

Five Bad Habits I have:

Blowing up fast when angered
spending way too much time on the computer
procrastinating
talking too much or not enough
taking things personally when they weren't intended that way

Five things I like doing:

Reading
Doing historical research
Knitting
Travelling
Writing Poetry

Five things I would never wear:

Jeans cut so low I would have to go commando to wear them.
A dress cut down to my navel (saw one in a celebrity magazine this week. Her navel was really showing.)
Chartreuse anything
A tongue piercing
A man's great kilt (you have to lie on the ground to tie the darn things on!)

Five TV shows I like:

(I haven't watched TV since 1999. I don't think I can answer this one. )

Five Biggest Joys of the Moment:

Getting to go to my niece's wedding
Doing well on my diet
NOT feeling depressed (had problems bad with depression this year)
NOT having the problems with my bile duct (feels like a heart attack. Had it for a year and a half - one of the ways my body reacts to stress)
Being married to my husband

Five Favorite toys:

Computer
my several hundred knitting needles (OK, I'm compulsive a little)
My digital camera
my flintlock, blackpowder longrifle (I reenact the 1790s)
my victorian craft books

Now at this point, I am supposed to tag five people.

But everybody I could tag either runs a politcal or religious blog, or doesn't blog.

So instead, if you are reading this...I tag YOU! (if you want to!)

3 Comments:

Blogger Jean said...

I guess Jane got us both. :) Good luck on your trip and congrats on your weight loss! You are inspiration for all of us fellow dieters. I actually lost a bit this week too. I usually diet two or three weeks to lose a pound or two.
I was so sorry to hear that you have had a struggle with depression this year. I can totally relate. HUGS....now go have a good time!

1:05 PM  
Blogger Knitting a Conundrum said...

Yes, it's amazing how much better you feel after the depression starts to lift. One day before my husband made me go to the doctor I cried for five hours straight. My hair thinned out. I hurt all the time, even with meds. I was overreacting to my teen and he in turn pushed my buttons more than he meant to.

They put me on Welbutrin, and my perfume induced asthma went away (very aggravating when you get asthma attacks in church!), most of my tummy pain went away, and my hair is doing better (I think. At least it doesn't look like it's thinning any more!) And now I've had three weeks of no stress. Life is better.

Depression sucks!

1:24 PM  
Blogger Jackie Bolen said...

Congrats on no longer watching TV! I just wrote a post not 10 minutes ago about TV is turning us into zombies. Want to come to my blog and comment about how it's changed your life? That would be awesome.

6:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home