Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Milestones

Today, I finally hit 40 lbs. lost. Feels good. My next special point will no doubt be when I hit 50, and then shortly (I hope!) thereafter when I break through the 200 barrier.



An interesting site to play with is RealAge

They go through a variety of things, risk factors, nutrition factors, family tendencies, your risk-taking behaviors and calculate something they call your "real age," which might or might not match your biological age. The idea is the more positive things you do for your body, the more you are doing for your heart and other disease prevention things, the lower your real age is.

It did give me some pointers on my diet, how I am probably low on Vitamin E with the food choices and supplements I eat, and that I need to lose weight. It also belongs to the "only eat red meat once a week or less" group, and I do eat it a bit more than that. They also didn't have a place to note non-fat yogurt when they were surveying my food, and that's a staple in my diet.

But I did their calorie count survey, and they told me I need over 2400 calories a day to maintain my weight. I am eating about 1000 calories a day less. Therefore, I lose about 2 lbs a week right now.

By the time I reach my goal weight, I will be needing around 1800 calories a day, which means I will only have a little deficit in my diet, which means minor tinkering when I go on maintenance.

That's sort of my plan...to eat to where I need to go, then be in a situation where I add maybe a hundred calories a meal to reach maintenance weight, and continue with the regime...It's not a diet, it's a life-style change.

5 Comments:

Blogger Arne Bjermeland's World said...

Good progress, but three hat? Is not that overdoing it? Do you get any exercise? That is also very important, and not just for the weight loss, but for your health.
Keep it up.

2:30 PM  
Blogger Knitting a Conundrum said...

I am a serious walker. Yesterday did about 2 hours worth. Slow and steady, which is what the latest research says is good for heavy people because it burns more calories than for a thinner person for reasons they don't understand, and protects the hips and knees.

2:47 PM  
Blogger heather said...

Congratulations on your weight loss!

Heather
www.spiritblog.net

4:44 PM  
Blogger Moonwishes said...

Good going on the weight loss!

7:36 PM  
Blogger Knitting a Conundrum said...

I'm just under 5'3"...that's actually a fairly conservative goal...and pretty much smack in the middle of the desirable weight charts. By BMI index, the healthy range is between 107 and 131...

7:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home