Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Hard Truths (a nutrition-diabetes-dieting rant)

One of the things that was driven home to me during my trip was this:

Everybody in my bloodline, except for my grandmother and uncle, are overweight.

On my mom's side of the family there is a strong tendency towards heart disease and diabetes.

My brother and I, my mother before me are really subject to carbohydrate cravings, which is a factor in insulin resistance and diabetes. My brother, whom I love dearly, loves food that is rich in carbohydrate and fat, and he's on two medications for his cholesterol and is absolutely in the prediabetic phase. They know he's starting to plaque up in his arteries. His grandfather died of diabetic complications after two major strokes.

One of the saddest things I read that my mother wrote was how she started every day with the good intentions to stay on her diet, but she had this problem with bread. This was part of the syndrome that killed her.

There is hard truth here: with our tendencies, we cannot eat like people who don't have them. When you are pre-diabetic or diabetic, you cannot eat like other people. It's a handicap, like other disabilities, and if you still go on eating that way, it will make you fat and kill you.

There is no compromise. You either eat differently, or you get fat and get diabetes, heart disease, kidney trouble, chf and all the other problems that come from having metabolic syndrome.

It's impossible to have it both ways.

The ONLY way I cope is by restricting my carbs to small amounts. It's like binge drinking: if a binge drinker drinks too much too fast, they will drink until they pass out, because the alcohol takes over. A person with metabolic syndrome has to admit that carb rich foods are dangerous to them, and has to restrict them to levels (and perhaps kinds) that work with their body. No other choice except to be sick and fat.

Looking at foods on the glycemic index might help. But for me, it's strictly a matter of quantity. If I eat a sandwich at lunch, and eat some light chips, I will want to eat all afternoon. If I want to eat carbs in more than the amount of one slice of bread (say, 100 calories) I have to eat it at night.

What do I do if I get the afternoon hungries? I eat something protein rich, like non-fat, unsweetened yogurt (which I like the taste of) which seems to short-circuit the munchies. When I do eat carby foods during the day, I eat them in small amounts, like no more than 100-110 calories worth (I am particularly fond of Genisoy's Soy Chips for this). I avoid potatoes during the day, and only eat them with dinner.

At dinner time, I normally eat a carb portion of about 200 calories. I don't graze after dinner, and it's the largest meal of my day. This works for me.

I expect to eat something like this the rest of my life. The total calorie portions will change perhaps, but the concept, low amounts of carb at any one time, lots of fiber rich veggies and fruit, and avoiding things that rely on too much high fructose corn syrup will be the way I must eat.

I must eat this way, because I have a disability. I process carbohydrates in ways that are bad for my health. I don't want to live like that. I decided to stop fooling myself.

This is something that those of us with metabolic syndrome have to do, or suffer the consequences. There's really no middle ground.

7 Comments:

Blogger Dave Knechel said...

My mother has type II diabetes. So does her sister. It's from years and years of eating foods high in sugar and fat. Her doctors have told her that fat consumption is just as bad as sugar. Checking your blood sugar and taking insulin twice a day is a real chore. I sure do watch what I eat a lot more intently now, knowing it is in the family.

7:31 AM  
Blogger Anne said...

It's so refreshing to read that someone understands the science behind a low-carb lifestyle. It's not a craze or a fad for some people. It's a necessary way of life. I have a history of diabetes and heart disease in my family as well. When I finally decided to go low-carb, I lost 125 pounds. I no longer had thyroid or cholesterol problems and am not even close to even being pre-diabetic anymore. So, obviously, I sticking to a low-carb lifestyle.

8:13 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm pre-diabetic and I know the mantra, "This is a way of life, not a diet" well. I have lost 30 lbs but have 20 more to go. One book that helped me a lot was
Eat, Drink and Be Healthy by Dr. Walter Willett. It's a great book!

2:25 PM  
Blogger Cathie said...

Spinach does wonders for health and fitness, and you can do so much with it. Seriously, after a week of eating fresh spinach everyday, I feel wonderful. Just my two cents. Cheers, and good luck.

4:13 PM  
Blogger Staying in Balance said...

I didn't really know the connection between carbs and diabetes. My uncles and grandmother had diabetes and in the last 10 years, I have gained a lot of weight. I've always loved carbs and have a hard time controlling my carb intake. Part of my problem is that carbs are so inexpensive and pasta doesn't go bad as quickly as fresh veggies!

4:36 PM  
Blogger Knitting a Conundrum said...

Spinach is very good, as are veggies in the brocolli family...We eat them just about daily over here.

It is true that veggies don't last as long as the pastas, but pasta is ok, especially whole wheat pasta as long as you note how much you are eating. I eat pasta at least once a week. And I measure it before it goes on my plate, and I enjoy it, too.

But substituting foods that are cheap and carb rich for foods that will give you micronutrients you need and might help you cope with appetite is not a good deal - if you are having carb craves and putting on weight. Plain white bread was my mom's nemesis. If she had eaten a piece of steak or a cup of cottage cheese instead of those slices of bread, she might still be with us today.

Berries are also very good for you, lots of antioxidants, low in calories, and tasty.

I finally got where I can eat salmon happily. It's very good for you. I try to eat it at least once or twice a week.

And so on...what matters most is to eat high quality food in quantities that your body can deal with. Some people can't deal with fat for health reasons (like me), a lot of people have trouble with carbs.

The nice thing about putting carbs in their place is that it frees you from that up and down hunger monster on your back. I truly like that!

5:14 PM  
Blogger Staying in Balance said...

Steak and dairy...that's another thing I have gotten away from eating. It sounds like a good alternative--to eat a variety of foods instead of constantly giving in to my carb cravings that can never be satisfied.

8:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home