Saturday, August 20, 2005

Moody.


I remember that day,
that last summer's day,
our last moment on the coast.

I took off my shoes to walk barefoot in the sand,
to feel that reality,
that point where sea, earth and sky meet,
one more time,
even though the air was cool
and the water cold,
not like the seashore where I grew up,
but still,
here you were, Ocean,
and I had missed you.

The lighthouse up on the rocks gleamed white,
while children tried to dam
a solitary trickle, not even a rivulet,
with wet sand.

I remember how bright the light was,
just like another day on a Texas beach,
wading in the water,
the water warm and bright,
that too was a last moment,
my last time fishing there,
only catching memories.

I miss you, Ocean,
and your fickle, demanding ways,
your mystery,
and your depth,
your promise.
Someday, perhaps, the desert will let me go,
and I will walk along your waters,
and know I am home.
_______

Today I am uneasy, and moody, and wistful.

I keep thinking of the songs "Love Reign O'er Me" by the Who from Quadrophenia, and Black Water by the Doobie Brothers.

Well, I built me a raft and she’s ready for floatin’
Ol’ Mississippi, she’s callin’ my name
Catfish are jumpin’
That paddle wheel thumpin’
Black water keeps rollin’ on past just the same.


Homesick for the past?
Son let a friend sleep over without permission, and his mom called looking for her son.


Only love
Can bring the rain
That makes you yearn to the sky.
Only love
Can bring the rain
That falls like tears from on high.

We had a talk. It seems to have worked for the moment. We talked about the differences between how we behave and how we feel on the inside, and how things pile up.

Something clicked for him, I think. He actually cleaned up his room this afternoon.

The season here is changing...the light looks like early autumn, and school starts this week.

Time, time, time, see what’s become of me
While I looked around
For my possibilities
I was so hard to please
But look around, leaves are brown
And the sky is a hazy shade of winter

Almost, not quite.

1 Comments:

Blogger Knitting a Conundrum said...

It's a stock photo of the Oregon coast...beautiful coastline. I think this is near Astoria. And the neat thing about Oregon's coast is most of it is public park, so it's very accessible.

I was hoping to go back there this summer, but it didn't work out. Maybe next year.

6:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home