Saturday, December 31, 2005

Incidental New Year poems

It's a poet's game,
casting out words
and writing in response.


If I could write a sonnet, would it say
full half of what my heart has in it now?
Some special word to brighten up your way,
To weave a web of dreams if you allow
Would make my moment happier by far
And let me start the New Year with a smile.
But how this moment seems askew, ajar,
with business left to do all in a pile.
And so I'll leave good hopes for one and all -
And later will I come with poesy's call.


Clever as a feather
drifting soft on starlight wings,
word to image dancing,
now lost in faery rings,
What word have you to sing tonight
as old year turns to new?
What memories will spin inside,
some happy, some to rue?

Clever as a feather
drifting soft on starlight wings,
the old year is coming home to rest,
the new year gently sings,
of tomorrows we will cherish,
of hopes we long to bring
into the break of morning light
beyond the faery ring.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home